Contemplating divorce from your spouse can be a difficult decision. However, a divorce without children is usually easier than a divorce with children for many reasons. More often than not, a divorce without kids does not take as long to settle as a divorce with kids since there are significantly fewer matters to resolve.
Contested Divorce – A contested divorce occurs when both parties fail to reach an agreement on their own or with a mediator. This type of divorce takes the longest to finalize.
Uncontested Divorce – This happens when both spouses come to an agreement in regards to dividing assets, child support, child custody, ect. When this is presented to the court, it’s typically always approved.
Collaborative Divorce – A collaborative divorce happens when both spouses agree not to go to court from the beginning of the divorce proceedings. Instead, the parties involved will go through a series of meetings known as joint session
At-Fault – In order to obtain an at-fault divorce, one spouse needs to prove the other spouse of adultery, abandonment, inhumane treatment, ect.
No-Fault Divorce – This type of divorce allows a couple to split without having to place blame on the other spouse. It’s less costly than a contested divorce making it a desirable choice for those looking to end their union.
Phone: (212) 633-2200 | Address: 233 W. 14th St. NY, NY 10011
We not only prepare divorce documents to the highest court standards, but we also walk with you through the process.
Steps in Uncontested Divorce Process
1. We The People makes the Divorce process simple and fast. First, you fill out our simple Workbook/Questionnaire with the information we need for the court. (Both parties address, dates of birth, date of the marriage, etc.).
2. Within 2-3 business days, the first documents are ready for the Plaintiff to sign. Then, those documents get filed with the court to obtain the Index/Case Number.
3. Next, it is the Defendant’s turn to sign. After the Defendant signs, 2-3 business days later, a final set of documents is prepared for just the Plaintiff to sign. (If the Defendant is not agreeing, they must be served. That means that someone other than the other party must physically give the court documents to the Defendant. If they just ignore it, we must wait 40 days. After that, we prepare a final set of documents for just the Plaintiff to sign and then we have what is called a ONE SIGNATURE DIVORCE and it gets finalized by the judge).
4. The courts generally take 3-5 months to finalize a divorce once the final legal documents are submitted. It is rare for anyone to have to appear in court as the Judgment of Uncontested Divorce is almost always granted on the paperwork that we prepare and submit to the court.
5. We get the Judgment of Divorce for you and you refer your friends and family to We The People! (That is how we get most of our customers and we always appreciate referrals).
To begin your divorce contact us today.
Learn more how We the People can also provide personalized help with legal separations or divorce with children.
The decision to move forward with a divorce is not an easy one and requires several steps and a handful of papers to sign. The legal documentation preparers at We the People of NY can assist you in filling out all the necessary divorce paperwork in order to lessen the burden of an already stressful situation.
When you divorce from your spouse, all legal relationships will end, except if there’s anything written in a divorce judgment/separation agreement. There are several things that can be addressed in a written separation agreement such as:
Division of property
Payment of debts
We the People of NY help our clients with Uncontested Divorces as well as No-Fault Divorces. Our divorce documents are usually prepared within 2/3 business days. We do not give you an instruction sheet (as do many of our competitors) but we walk you through the entire process.
Personal Service You Can Trust