Trusted since 1985



Our Divorce Service:

  • is Quicker, easier, convenient and more affordable.

  • is personal because your divorce is personal. Now isn't that a better way to get divorced?

  • saves you from struggling trying to do your divorce documents yourself.

  • includes preparing all of the documents needed for your New York State No-Fault Divorce.

Divorce No Kids No Property

Divorce with Kids with or without Property

With Kids with or without Property, Pensions, Assets or Debts

+ Court Fees
Learn more
Start online now or How does the "One Signature" Divorce work at We The People?

Divorce No Kids with Property

You may complete our online questionnaire, or come to our office where you will receive a free consultation and a simple questionnaire to complete in our office or at home.

Necessary information includes address, birth date and location, marriage date and location, social security numbers and annual income. Health insurance information is required if you have a child/children as well as any court orders, if applicable.

Your first documents will be ready to sign shortly after completing the workbook.

We will file your first documents with the court after you sign.
Cost: $499 (no kids) or $599 (kids/assets)

Court Fee: $210 money order
Messenger service (optional): $40

Once the first documents have been filed, it will be time for your spouse to sign.
You may provide the documents to your spouse if they are willing to sign or you can arrange to serve the documents if unwilling to sign.
If the Defendant is not agreeing, they must be served. That means that someone other than the Plaintiff must physically give the court documents to the Defendant. If they just ignore it, we must wait 40 days.  After that, we prepare a final set of documents for just the Plaintiff to sign and then we have what is called a ONE SIGNATURE DIVORCE and it gets finalized by the judge
Your next set of documents will be prepared shortly after your spouse’s documents are returned.

You’ll then sign the final documents and these will be filed with the court shortly after.
Once the judge signs off we will provide you and your ex with certified divorce decrees which include orders to revert to your original surname if you wish.

Court Fee: $125 money order
Messenger service (optional): $80 for 2 trips
Certified Judgement of Divorce decree: $20 for 2 certified decrees


What is an “Uncontested” Divorce?
All the terms of the divorce are agreed upon between  both you and your spouse.
Do I need a lawyer to file my divorce?
No! The end result will be identical whether you use a lawyer or We The People. A divorce with We The People costs less than an iPhone.
How long does it take for my uncontested divorce to be completed?
The turnaround time of the court varies and can be anywhere from 3-12 months. 


What do I need to bring to start?
Information is all that's necessary. We do not need your certificate of marriage, birth or anything else. Information necessary includes full names, address, date/place of birth, date/place of marriage, date of marriage and salary and health insurance information if children are involved.
Will I need to go to court?
Provided that both you and your spouse are in complete agreement for the divorce, no court appearances are necessary.
Will I be able to change my married name back to my Maiden Name?
Yes. The language for this is included in the final Judgement of Divorce.


Is there a timeline that I have to complete my divorce by?
You must submit all divorce documents to the court within 1 year after the Summons with Notice has been filed.
If I was married in another state or country can I get divorced in New York state?
Yes. The state and country are irrelevant. One person must be currently residing in NY state and for a minimum of 1 year.
I'm busy and am unable to visit your location. Can you email me the documents?
Yes, we can do everything by email and mail if you prefer.

I live on Long Island. Can I still use your divorce services?
Yes. We The People serves all of New York State.
I have legal questions.
We The People has a resource attorney who you are welcome to speak. Free of charge, of course.
How will I know the divorce is finalized by the Court?
The court will notify We The People when your Judgement of Divorce decree is ready for pick up. We will pick up the judgement and notify you promptly.


I don't have my spouse's social security number. Is this ok?
If you are unable to obtain a social security number we will prepare a simple affidavit stating that you were not able to obtain the SSN. There is no extra charge for this.
Will I need my spouse's address?
Yes! Whether the address is in New York or New Zealand, an address is required. It is best to have your spouse's address when you begin the process.
How much time does my spouse have to sign or be served the divorce papers?
Your spouse has 120 days from the date the Summons with Notice was filed with the court.


What if my spouse doesn't sign or isn't served within the required 120 days?
Simply put, you will most likely start from the beginning if your spouse doesn't sign or isn't served within 120 days.
Can I still get divorced if my Spouse doesn't want to sign the papers?
Yes! This is what's known as a ONE SIGNATURE DIVORCE. You may have the divorce papers PERSONALLY SERVED to your spouse within the 120 days. There are 3 possible outcomes after your spouse has been served:

1: Spouse doesn't sign. After 40 days you may proceed by default in which case the divorce goes through without your spouse's signature.
2: Spouse signs and returns papers within 40 days. Life is good and the divorce process continues.
3: Spouse hires an attorney. In this case you may want to discuss points of contention with your spouse in order to proceed pro se. We can also refer you to a trusted mediator.

How can I serve my spouse the divorce papers?
Divorce papers must be personally served (in person, hand to hand or dropped at spouse's feet). Any NY state resident over the age of 18 may serve the documents except for anyone named in the divorce. We can arrange for a Process Server or the local sheriff to serve the documents.
Can I get divorced if my spouse lives in another country?
What if my spouse lives in another country and doesn't want to sign? Can I get divorced?
Yes, you may still get divorced provided that your spouse is personally served. A New York State resident who is not named in the divorce action may go to the country where your spouse resides and personally serve.


I separated from my spouse many years ago and I don't know where my spouse currently lives. Can I still get divorced?
Yes. Divorce by Publication is the method to get divorced when a spouse can not be located. Cost can be up to $5,000 and may take 1+ years to complete. Due to the cost and time, most people usually find a way to locate their spouse.
My spouse Is Incarcerated. Can I still get divorced?
Yes. Your spouse may either sign the divorce papers or be served the divorce papers by the facility staff.

Contemplating divorce from your spouse can be a difficult decision whether a traditional, gay, same sex or LGBT+ marriage. However, a divorce without children is usually easier than a divorce with children  for many reasons. More often than not, a divorce without kids does not take as long to settle as a divorce with kids since there are significantly fewer matters to resolve.

We not only prepare divorce documents to the highest court standards, but we also walk with you through the process.​

We The People provides honest personal divorce services you can trust.
The decision to move forward with a divorce is not an easy one and requires several steps and a handful of papers to sign. The legal documentation preparers at We the People of NY can assist you in filling out all the necessary divorce paperwork in order to lessen the burden of an already stressful situation.

When you divorce from your spouse, all legal relationships will end, except if there’s anything written in a divorce judgment/separation agreement. There are several things that can be addressed in a written separation agreement such as:​​

Spousal support
Division of property
Payment of debts

We the People of NY help our clients with Uncontested Divorces as well as No-Fault Divorces. Our divorce documents are usually prepared within a week. We do not give you an instruction sheet (as do many of our competitors) but we walk you through the entire process.

Types of divorce include:

-Contested Divorce – A contested divorce occurs when both parties fail to reach an agreement on their own or with a mediator. This type of divorce takes the longest to finalize.
-Uncontested Divorce – This happens when both spouses come to an agreement in regards to dividing assets, child support, child custody, ect. When this is presented to the court, it’s typically always approved.
-Collaborative Divorce – A collaborative divorce happens when both spouses agree not to go to court from the beginning of the divorce proceedings. Instead, the parties involved will go through a series of meetings known as joint session
-At-Fault – In order to obtain an at-fault divorce, one spouse needs to prove the other spouse of adultery, abandonment, inhumane treatment, ect.
-No-Fault Divorce – This type of divorce allows a couple to split without having to place blame on the other spouse. It’s less costly than a contested divorce making it a desirable choice for those looking to end their union.

If you’re considering filing for divorce, look no further than to We the People of NY, a legal documentation preparer. We the People of NY has the experience to handle the preparation of all required divorce paperwork.

Whether you’re going through a divorce with kids, a divorce without kids or a gay, same sex or LGBT+ divorce, we can help. We understand how time-consuming and complex a divorce can be and want to make the process as simple, fast, affordable and efficient as possible for our clients. We not only prepare divorce documents to the highest court standards but we also walk with you through each step of the process.

Getting a Divorce When You Have Children
A divorce with children can be more difficult and time consuming than a divorce without children. Commonly, when young children are present they don’t understand why their parents are splitting up and many need some extra attention or even counseling. The divorce process can also take longer when children are involved as custody, visitation and support need to be addressed. We can help you with your uncontested divorce without an attorney. We also specialize in LGBT and same-gender divorces.

A divorce is the dissolution of a marriage. This means all direct legal relationships with your spouse will end, except those specifically written out in a divorce agreement, stipulation of settlement or separation agreement. Written agreements can include information about the following:

Child Support
Spousal Support/Alimony
Health Insurance
Division of Property
Payment of Debts
Child Care/Educational Expenses Divorce in New York


Share This Content